As you know I love hiking, camping and everything outdoors. And as a commercial drone pilot, I travel all over Australia to some really remote locations. One piece of kit I always carry on me is my KTI Safety Alert personal locator beacon or PLB.
How to Test KTI Safety Alert SA2GN
I’m going to show you today how to test the KTI Safety Alert SA2GN Personal locator beacon. To make sure it’s operating as intended before your next big adventure.
Transcribe from Video
Before we start testing, make sure you never touch the red button. Do not remove the red jacket or label. That is only used for emergency situations. If you accidentally press it there could be severe penalties within your country for non-emergency operations. You dont want the coast guard, army, navy, airforce or your country’s emergency services showing up at your door unannounced.
For testing purposes, we only use the blue button labelled TEST.
- Read: KTI Safety Alert vs ResQlink Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)
- Buy: ACR ResQLink PLB from Amazon or from eBay
- Buy: RescueME PLB1 Ocean Signal from Amazon or from eBay
Test 1 – PLB General Operation Test
This test is going to test the beacon itself to make sure it’s working. For this test, you should do it no more than once per month to save the battery. I only do this test every 2 to 3 months or before a major hike.
- This is a quick test. First, extend the antenna and place it 90 degrees to the personal locator beacon.
- Press the BLUE button for around 1 second and release it as soon as the RED light comes on.
- You should see a white strobe light followed by a green light straight after.
- This confirms your beacon is working as intended.
Test 2 – Test the KTI Safety Alert GPS
This test is going to test the GPS of the beacon. The most important test. It’s very important not to do this test more than 2 times per year as it will take up battery power from your unit. I only do this test once a year. Also for this test, it’s best to do it outside on a clear day with a clear view of the sky, away from buildings, metal objects and other interferences.
- With the antenna out from the last test, we are going to hold down the blue button for around 4 to 5 seconds until the red light starts to flash.
- When the red light starts to flash, release the blue button.
- Your PLB will now start to flash every two seconds for a round 1 minute.
- To confirm the test has passed we are waiting now for a white strobe light followed by a green light which will confirm the GPS is working.
- Depending on satellites, atmosphere, cloud coverage etc this can take from 10 seconds to the full minute.
- If you need to cancel this test anytime, hold down the blue test button until the red light stops flashing.
That completes all the testing – two easy ways to test your KTI Safety Alert SA2GN Personal locator beacon.
I hope you never need to use it in your lifetime. It’s a great piece of equipment that will give you, your family and friends peace of mind when you are out doing what you love. If you have any questions let me know, until next time, safe travels.
About KTI: KTI no longer exists as a company. They no longer make PLB’s. However, the beacon still works until the battery runs out. I don’t think you can buy the KTI safety alert or replace the battery, so if you’re looking for an alternative, please see the ACR ResQLink which is also a great product.Added by Chris